Protomen - the Comm Forum Index
<  Brothers and Sisters in Arms  ~  Fellow Musicians :)
Excrutia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Okay so a comment in another thread gave me this idea. If you are a musician, or have pursued an instrument well enough to develop a love for it, this is for you. What do you play? For how long? Why'd you pick it up? What're you doing with it now? How does music make you feel?
I'll start.

I play the trumpet and the french horn. Horn for eight years, horn for ten. I wanted to have something that was mine. That I could make mine in any way, that would always be there. I've played for countless ensembles, marching band being my favorite for its flamboyancy. It is a true performing art Smile Music, stated simply, is the air that I breathe. The moment I picked up an instrument, I knew I'd found my life force. It's given me something or everything in almost every aspect of my life. There's no telling who or what I'd be without this. I'm eternally grateful that I had the opportunity.

...your turn!!! Razz

bishmanrock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

Primarily, I shout loudly and create a racket. Previously, this was in the form of thrash metal, but I've since moved to punk.

Outside of being a vocalist, I play guitar and bass and write quite a lot of doom stuff in my spare time. I've also just bought a keyboard just to play Here Comes The Arm and scream EMEMEIILLLYYYY in a really distressed voice. My parents must wonder what the hell goes on in my room.

The only thing I can't even begin to attempt playing are drums. Although, I much prefer writing music on my PC than actually playing stuff, which is how a lot of my bands tunes came along. Here's one I wrote from scratch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btKKZD-rGZw (warning, contains swears!).

But yeah, even though I do dabble with quite a lot of instruments and the like, being a vocalist and writing music on my computer is the only thing I truly have a passion for and feel like I can bring something new to the table. I'm currently trying to do a solo project inspired by The Protomen, but it's moving sluggishly and no bugger wants to be a part of it.
crash426mnb
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

i am by no means a musician but i have been playing the piano for what is something like four years. not diligently mind you. however im decent enough and can read music so thats a win. i did however pick up drums a few months back and love them like no ones business. im not an expert but i have massively improved since i first encountered them. i used to not even be able to keep a beat but now ive got 2 or three at once going its awesome.

music is awesome in general. i really wish i had started piano and like five other instruments when i was younger, but alas i didnt get to choose my talent as some one else decided to enroll me in art class.
Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

GENERATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

LAMDA EEEEEEECKS

Visit my Bandcamp!
On Facebook? Become a fan! Or, uh, "like" me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Excrutia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

crash426mnb wrote:
but alas i didnt get to choose my talent as some one else decided to enroll me in art class.

that's alright. you don't have to devote yourself or pop out of the womb knowing that you wanted to play twelve instruments with ten arms. The only thing that matters is that you love what you do, and that it means something to you. That's all you need in my book Wink

Aireos
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Heyyo.

A few years back (6 or 7) I picked up a guitar and started messing around with it. I realized instruments weren't as impossibly hard to play as I thought they were. Over the years I've been playing guitar as a main focus, bass as a secondary for the same amount of years. Drums for a while, and piano for about a year. I was in a band, but we kinda just stopped playing (myspace.com/lackfoperspective) it was a shame Sad I also have been working on Vocals for the past few years and have developed quite a voice, or so they say.

Now all I need is a cloning machine so I can make 3 more of me and start a band.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Excrutia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:37 am  Reply with quote

lol, don't we all?

AMA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:49 am  Reply with quote

I've played clarinet since 6th grade so that would be about 11 years now? I think I only joined band because my bff at the time did. She dropped out of it though... I didn't. Oh, and the clarinet has a lot of buttons so that's why I chose it. I like a challenge, hahaha.

I can also play the violin somewhat. I used to be better a few years back when I played it often (yay for being self-taught), but I've not really played it since.

All in all, I've sadly grown rusty in my musical ways.

As for choosing marching band or wind ensemble/concert band, I would choose all of them.

4M4 4 M0D3R4T0R 2013 4ND B3Y0ND!
dual-class Aussie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:50 am  Reply with quote

I started learning piano when I was 5. I've always been pretty good at sight reading from music, but absolute shit at playing by ear or memorizing stuff... but it might partly be a security blanket, since if I do have the music in front of me I notice I don't always need to look at it. For a while I used to work as a church pianist, sneaking Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger into the preludes and postludes.

I played viola from 4th grade through high school, but then abandoned it for a while once I graduated and left the youth orchestra. But last year I started taking it up again. My bowing and tone have degraded a lot, but I can shift positions a lot better than I could before! That must be from all the Guitar Hero I played in the meantime. Wink

"Protoman hates you. He died for them twice."
crash426mnb
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

dual-class Aussie wrote:
I started learning piano when I was 5. I've always been pretty good at sight reading from music, but absolute shit at playing by ear or memorizing stuff... but it might partly be a security blanket, since if I do have the music in front of me I notice I don't always need to look at it. For a while I used to work as a church pianist, sneaking Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger into the preludes and postludes.

I played viola from 4th grade through high school, but then abandoned it for a while once I graduated and left the youth orchestra. But last year I started taking it up again. My bowing and tone have degraded a lot, but I can shift positions a lot better than I could before! That must be from all the Guitar Hero I played in the meantime. Wink

i would go to a church for that
Errornix
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

dual-class Aussie wrote:
For a while I used to work as a church pianist, sneaking Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger into the preludes and postludes.

That's awesome! I actually play the drums at my church and I frequently play Joe's heartbeat in between songs.

Excrutia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

My direcctor went crazy yesterday and threw a stand because after he cut off, he had something to say...while the entire trumpet section broke out into the legend of zelda theme song. Then I got yelled at because I couldn't stop laughing. Best. Rehearsal. Ever. Razz

ElSpacebandito
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

I've been playing the guitar for several years now, but only really seriously recently. Mostly it is blues stuff but I have recently gotten into fingerstyle folk/country-ish stuff as well.

I also bought a used drum kit on a whim last November and it was the best thing I ever did. Playing the drums is so much fun it is insane, and myself and my roommate (who is the best guitar player I've ever met) are hoping to get out and play some shows in the near future.
brightshininglie
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:09 am  Reply with quote

I play guitar in a couple bands. One is kind of Isis-like the other is a lot more experimental. I actually play bass and keytar in the second one. I love my Protomen signature covered keytar.

Excrutia
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:58 am  Reply with quote

badass man.