Protomen - the Comm Forum Index
<  Brothers and Sisters in Arms  ~  Heart String Marionette (trailer inside) update
Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Excrutia wrote:
so onslaught, you don't think depp and burton put out good stuff together?

Not really! I mean Edward Scissorhands was great and I don't have a thing against Depp as an actor but man he needs to stop working with Burton. Because Tim Burton can do awesome stuff too (or at the very least he USED to, I really think he's lost it recently) but it's like every new movie he does now it's a waiting game. "Okay, how is he gonna shoehorn Johnny Depp into THIS movie? And also Helena Bonham Carter I mean I know she's your wife dude and also she's pretty hot but she doesn't need to be in everything you do."

I mean I get this way with artists/filmmakers/etc. sometimes. Sometimes you get a couple guys together and everything they make is awesome. And then sometimes you get a couple guys together and they make something awesome and like working together, and then they go "Well okay let's just keep working together!" even though everything else they make is turning to shit.

It's a similar situation with, I think, Nine Inch Nails right now. Trent Reznor used to primarily work with Charlie Clouser and Danny Lohner and a variety of artists for the artwork and the albums he made with those guys are awesome. And then 2005's With Teeth came out; Clouser and Lohner got replaced by Atticus Ross and the art direction was handled solely by Rob Sheridan. And With Teeth was a fine album! Nothing wrong with it. Different, sure, but not bad at all. Year Zero...continued this partnership. I'm like, okay, that's fine, Clouser and Lohner worked with him on a lot of albums too. But then Ghosts and The Slip came out and they were iffy and meh; and then the shitty soundtrack for The Social Network came out and then How To Destroy Angels (Trent, Atticus, and Trent's wife singing) came out and it was shitty too. Because it all sounds the same! Because Trent and Atticus working together provides a certain element--a certain feel. It colours the work in a certain way that I don't really like anymore. The same with Rob Sheridan doing all the artwork--the new Pretty Hate Machine reissue had recoloured and redrawn artwork, and consequently it looks 'exactly like everything Trent has done since 2005.'

By utilizing Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter or other actors he continually associates with, Tim Burton is limiting his creativity. Alan Moore (Watchmen writer) once said; "If you're doing something often enough to realize you're doing it, then you need to stop doing it." Because if you make a habit of doing something, your work becomes stale. Every thing you create should be an evolution, a forward step, being better and more importantly different than the thing that came before it.

Hell, take our very own Protoguys! They had an album with a distinct sound and everything. If they really wanted to, I'm sure they could recreate the sound of Act I for their 'live shows,' let alone for Act II. But they didn't do that. The live shows are their own thing. Act II sounds entirely different. They 'moved forward.' They did something different. And if you look at the credits list, there's different people involved. I'm sure Alan Shacklock is involved in the cover album more for the fact that they're conciously trying to recreate the Act II sound--because so many of their covers fall into that same vein. Depending on the direction Act III would take, maybe they would or wouldn't use Shacklock--depends on how versatile the man is, what Protomen are trying to do, and (probably) how much money they have.

And on that same note--even if Act III used Shacklock, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some groups of people *can* keep the same group together for multiple outings. Look at Kevin Smith's films, there's not a bad one among them (except maybe Jersey Girl but that's because it was marketed as a comedy when it totally wasn't) and they all use the same group of folks--and not just in front of the camera, but behind it as well. But even though he had a clear formula for success, he also took a risk by directing Cop-Out, a film he didn't write. (It didn't really pay off--I didn't see the film but it bombed hardcore.) So even he's willing to try and evolve as an artist.

Tim Burton though? Stuck in a rut. And there's a bunch of wannabe goth teenagers who just saw Nightmare Before Christmas who are just plain willing to eat up anything with his and Johnny Depp's name on it. And you know what? With a built-in audience like that and the tons of money it's sure to generate...can you blame them?

tl;dr Tim Burton's shit is stale as hell when using Depp.

Visit my Bandcamp!
On Facebook? Become a fan! Or, uh, "like" me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crash426mnb
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

I have updated the original post once again including links to M dot stranges previous works and a few more pictures.

also onsolaught, i think you make a lot of good points. im really indifferent towards tim burton and deep but i can see why you could think they have over stayed their welcome and should branch out a little.
Excrutia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:47 am  Reply with quote

I'm super excited! We are the strange was really good.

crash426mnb
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCxNSbuo1MU&feature=feedu

new teaser trailer
crash426mnb
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0cHVTXaz0&feature=feedu

Jimmy Urine of Mindless self Indulgence is doing voice work for the movie. thats pretty cool.
crash426mnb
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMrP6UXP0BI&feature=g-u-u

The launch trailer is out now. the movie cost 5$ to download in high quality with the soundtrack so its pretty damn cheap. also its like going to be out today or somthing Razz
caseyismagic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Onslaught Six wrote:
Excrutia wrote:
Let me just say that I hope Johnny Depp is in this one. It seems to me that their best stuff comes out when they work together. The feel is just so amazing, those two were meant to work together.

(I made this, it's awesome)

YOU ARE RIGHT SIR! ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, IT IS AWESOME!