Protomen - the Comm Forum Index
<  Brothers and Sisters in Arms  ~  Need help with a keyboard rig
Pezinator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

Heya! Next year's my 18th birthday, and I'm getting 500 worth of keyboard. I'm a composer, and I want to eventually be good enough for banding, and I have no idea where to start. The one I use currently is an old Clavinova, and I'll be leaving home so that will have to stay.

So... any ideas/tips?

SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Make sure you get a keyboard that has a USB jack in it - most do these days, but you can plug your keyboard into your laptop or PC or what say you, and you can do all sorts of fun programming and composing with a combination of the two (for my composing, I use Finale - an awesome (but very expensive) program, and for recording and mixing I use Reaper, which is freeware). As for a specific model, I haven't looked at new models in a while. I've had good experiences with Yamaha keyboards if you're looking in the cheap-o range, otherwise there's Korg, Roland and Moog are the three big brands. I've had very good experiences with Korg, but I've never used the other two. I love the sound and quality of Moog products (I hear they are very well made), so if/when I get the money I'm probably gonna invest in a Moog.

SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

But this being a Protomen board, the correct choice is to opt for a Keytar.

Pezinator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

SlitheryDee wrote:

Yea, I was going to get a keytar with the money from my job.

And then come to America

GET THE MOTHER GOOSE SIGNED!

But I have a budget of 500 to play with Wink

Edit: Also, what good keytar for less than 200 would be worth it?

Oooh. I hope I get good enough to actually learn to play some of the synth parts of the Protomen. Dream come true, performing it with friends.

brightshininglie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:56 am  Reply with quote

Pezinator wrote:
SlitheryDee wrote:

Yea, I was going to get a keytar with the money from my job.

And then come to America

GET THE MOTHER GOOSE SIGNED!

But I have a budget of 500 to play with Wink

Edit: Also, what good keytar for less than 200 would be worth it?

Oooh. I hope I get good enough to actually learn to play some of the synth parts of the Protomen. Dream come true, performing it with friends.

Someone hasn't seen my keytar. You may be able to find the new Roland keytar used around that price, but that's a big maybe. If your looking for something really nice in the keytar area, Your looking to spend a big chunk of change. Like 800+ US for a used one. Normal midi controllers though, run pretty cheap for newer ones. Roland's new Gaia might be in your price range.

Pezinator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

Well, would it worth having 2 keyboards? One being a keyboard like in a school, the other being like a Yamaha stage piano. Well, I'm going to the local music shops sometime to try them out. But would 2 keyboards be a wise decision, or just a waste of money?

brightshininglie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:32 pm  Reply with quote

Well, do you have any model in mind? If so, post a couple links.

Pezinator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Well, keeping with the Yamaha theme (I do like the keyboards of theirs I've used in the past) I've seen 2 that come in my price range.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/stagepianos/cp_s/?mode=overview

That's one of their stage "Electric grand pianos". That's about the middle of the budget, which is nice and simple.

However, for a synth, a Yamaha MM6 is in budget, but is higher end (about 400 ish)http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/mm6/?mode=overview

Of course, I still need to check how I like playing them, so that might change things, but just searching online they appeal to me. From the price of keytars, that may be put on hold for a while Wink

Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Here's the schtick with keytars--you can get one that's a full keyboard 'in it' or you can just get one that's a MIDI controller, and basically would plug into your existing keyboard, controlling the sounds from that keyboard. You could also do that with a computer and stuff.

Myself--I'd go with almost all software. I would buy the cheapest MIDI controller out there and just run shit off a laptop. But that's me.

Visit my Bandcamp!
On Facebook? Become a fan! Or, uh, "like" me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brightshininglie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Another problem with keytars is it's a whole different instrument to play. You wouldn't think strapping a keyboard on would change the playing dynamic, but it does by a lot. Those both look good, but Onslaught had a good point. By a weighted 88 key midi controller, and then you can run software till the cow come home and it works out a lot cheaper.

Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Of course, then you also need a good desktop/laptop that can actually run software synths (Reason and Reaktor are some good programs, although they do cost money, legally at least) and then you need to learn how to use them. But that's a given, I guess. I'm already experienced with programming software synths so all I really need is a controller.

Visit my Bandcamp!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pezinator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Well, my laptop's designed for graphics/gaming/ordinary programming, and it's full of software for that. So software synthing (I think) is out. I would like a keyboard/synth that could potentially run straight into an amp or similar, using minimal computing as I can.

Which is why I'm gonna test out the MM-6 for simplicity.

Currently, I'm allright at piano, but with a keyboard for myself when I leave home, I'm planning to use that as my training (and fun) tool

Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Well, if it's designed for that shit it can surely handle the source load for stuff like synth sounds. Download a trial of Reason or something and just play with the synths for a bit and see if you like how it works. Or get some cables to connect your eventual keyboard and just give it a try.

Visit my Bandcamp!
Pezinator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

Onslaught Six wrote:
Well, if it's designed for that shit it can surely handle the source load for stuff like synth sounds. Download a trial of Reason or something and just play with the synths for a bit and see if you like how it works. Or get some cables to connect your eventual keyboard and just give it a try.

I've got the cables ready. Midi to USB, which is top of the range. Also, luckily, my birthday earned me 200, which is about half the price to the synth I'm looking at.

But once my cables arrive in the post (birthday present) I'll try out with my current keyboard. But also, the keyboard (yamaha) comes with a version of cubase. But I'll see how Reason works, because I didn't like cubase that much. But then again, I'm not good at that sort of recording. I've always used programs like sibelius.

But if I get a synth, I'll play it for fun and learn the important stuff later Wink

Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

The key isn't to use Reason or whatever as a DAW, it's just to drop in plugins and stuff and mess with the effects. At least, that's what I plan to do--I use Fruity Loops myself.

Visit my Bandcamp!