Protomen - the Comm Forum Index
<  Brothers and Sisters in Arms  ~  Great Sci-fi Stories
Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

Lasergoose wrote:
I just read Ender's Game for the first time. I can't believe that was Orson Scott Card's first novel; it's so good. You'll never look at a younger brother the same way again. I've heard mixed things about the sequels.

I liked the sequels that focused on Bean (That was his name, right? It's been ages) more than the ones that focused on Ender (who becomes some kind of quasi-religious pacifist) or his brother and sister (who become characters on Lost or something).

Visit my Bandcamp!
On Facebook? Become a fan! Or, uh, "like" me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lasergoose
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Onslaught Six wrote:
Lasergoose wrote:
I just read Ender's Game for the first time. I can't believe that was Orson Scott Card's first novel; it's so good. You'll never look at a younger brother the same way again. I've heard mixed things about the sequels.

I liked the sequels that focused on Bean (That was his name, right? It's been ages) more than the ones that focused on Ender (who becomes some kind of quasi-religious pacifist) or his brother and sister (who become characters on Lost or something).

I've heard that the first sequel in each storyline ("shadow" and "Ender") are the strongest. I might check them out. And yeah, the kid's name is Bean. He's pretty B.A.

And Last Son of Light: I think I may have read every story Lovecraft ever wrote. It was a relatively slow year at college...with an unfortunate but necessary break for "Pride and Prejudice," which I found to be sorely lacking in both eldrich horror and tentacled aberrations that fray the very fabric of sanity.

Anyway, you may have already heard of it, but if you want a very well-done modernized Lovecraftian tale, check out Charles Stross's (relatively) short story "A Colder War." It's free somewhere online, actually on Stross's Web site, if I'm not mistaken.

Imagine the Cthulhu Mythos linked to Soviet/U.S. relations in the 1970s, with the two most powerful governments on Earth trying to manipulate things that are incomprehensibly bigger and more important and more scary than any nukes. I don't want to give away much more than that.

Another story that's pretty easy to find online, and one of the few truly scary things I've read, is "John Dies at the End." It manages to make you want to urinate with fear and laughter at the same time.

Necrovolver
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:15 am  Reply with quote

The Giver

Don't be deceived by the Newberry Award sticker - its not a kiddie book - it's a great story about a kid stuck in a post-apocalyptic totalitarian future without emotion wanting nothing more than to break out...

hmm that sounds familiar...

I compare it to Fahrenheit 451
SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:46 am  Reply with quote

one more, for a truly creepy sci-fi story:

Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Really, really creepy.

Kentok
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:57 am  Reply with quote

SlitheryDee wrote:
one more, for a truly creepy sci-fi story:

Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Really, really creepy.

Jeezus, I remember reading that one a few years ago. Yeah, it's one of the creepiest short stories I've ever read. It also inspired a pretty good adventure game.

Mr Grey
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:53 am  Reply with quote

Last son of Light wrote:
I've been on an HP Lovecraft binge for the past two and a half years. I can't get enough.

If you're looking for a really scary book that's...sorta sci fi'ish, check out House of Leaves. Scared me shitless.

Don't read House of Leaves; it will ruin your life.

Definitely don't listen to the album, either.
Felin
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

A Sci Fi book thread and no mention of the Sprawl Trilogy?
For shame.

Your beauty comes like sunshine after rain, an unexpected spark to wash away the dark.
crash426mnb
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:31 am  Reply with quote

ok i come to you all with new eyes. i had bought the ultimate hitchhikers guide about two years ago or so and never read it. i wanted to and when i got it for 20 bucks and it was hard covor and all i was like "hot damn".

well thanks to a recent incedent where i was waiting at my new house for the cable people to show up and having brought a box of books over i decided to give it a skim. well the skim lasted about two seconds and i started going hardcore into actually reading it. that was about two weeks ago and i have finished three of the five full fledged books in the compilation.(there is a short storie in there as well i have yet to get to)

now im not a big book person, dont get me wrong ive read of my own free will more times then i was required in any class but im not going to the library unless its during school hours to play monopoly. this trilogy in five parts though is seriously to good, its so good in fact i demand you dont read it then go about doing it anyway. its one of those books that just fits everything i want. its funny, interesting, over the top, and its long episodic but all connected. i cant describe things well so i wont try but i will say if you want a sci fi book this is definitly one to read.

ok im sorry itsjust way ....(insert word here), yeah its that good.
SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:16 am  Reply with quote

crash426mnb wrote:
I assume the [insert word] is in fact B*lgium? If memory serves me, that is the most vile and uncouth curse word in the galaxy.

EDIT: And yeah, Hitchhiker's Guide is some of the most fun I've ever had reading. The film adaptation is about as good as you'd expect it to be. It has its charms, and it's okay, but it's nothing compared to the novels. They get an A for effort, though. It's about as good as an adaptation of Hitchhiker's as is probably possible.

crash426mnb
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:26 am  Reply with quote

SlitheryDee wrote:
crash426mnb wrote:
I assume the [insert word] is in fact B*lgium? If memory serves me, that is the most vile and uncouth curse word in the galaxy.

EDIT: And yeah, Hitchhiker's Guide is some of the most fun I've ever had reading. The film adaptation is about as good as you'd expect it to be. It has its charms, and it's okay, but it's nothing compared to the novels. They get an A for effort, though. It's about as good as an adaptation of Hitchhiker's as is probably possible.

no the insert word is most definitly nothing that rude, how dare you speak sutch way on a public board or even more so to another being... i am deaply offended.
SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:08 am  Reply with quote

crash426mnb wrote:
No the insert word is most definitely nothing that rude, how dare you speak such way on a public board or even more so to another being... i am deeply offended.
Well, to be fair, I did bleep it out. Censorship is key.

Steamlord D
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

"The Road," by Cormac McCarthy. absolute pure awesomeness, it's about the love of a father and son in a world after a mysterious apocalypse. It's great.

Katana
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:10 am  Reply with quote

I haven't read "The Road" yet, but the movie was pretty damn good, really depressing though.

However, the trophy goes to SlitheryDee.

Everyone should absolutely go out and buy Neuromancer immediately. It's true I'm a bit partial to cyberpunk, hell my capstone in college was an 80pg cyberpunk story, but this novel is seriously badass on at least 23 different levels. Gibson is a great writer. Check out his short stories too, "Burning Chrome" is the name of a short story of his, but also a compilation book of some of his best work like "Johnny Nmemonic" and "New Rose Hotel".

I also need to pick up some more Phillip K. Dick and so should you. Good writer from the little I've read and a big influence on Gibson, crazy mother fucker though.

Rae Beta
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Currently reading and loving Galatea 2.2, by Richard Powers; I'm ordinarily a very quick reader but taking my time on this, because it's really worth savoring.

I'm a huge experimental fiction / new media nerd, so I think the Arthur Blake journals--a new media experiment in which a bunch of people from the Barbelith comm joined forces to basically tell a Lovecraft pastiche via a connected set of (fictional) blogs is pretty much the cat's pajamas. You can find the core blog (Blake's) here; two of the connected blogs here and here; and some background about the project here and here.

You can also get a short story fix online, via Strange Horizons' fiction archive. Watch out, though--once you get into this, it will eat your entire day.

If you like Lovecraft, you might also enjoy Lovecraft Unbound (Ed. Ellen Datlow); it's an anthology of contemporary Lovecraft pastiche. I think it's pretty great, but I'm biased and not to be trusted.

Tad Williams's Otherland Cycle (City of Golden Shadow, River of Blue Fire, Mountain of Black Glass, and Sea of Silver Light) is great. Williams is aces with ensemble casts, which you don't see much.

For comics readers, Carla Speed McNeil's Finder, which McNeil describes as "aboriginal sci-fi," is fantastic--great story and some of the best world-building I've ever seen.
crash426mnb
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:14 am  Reply with quote

Don't read House of Leaves; it will ruin your life.

Definitely don't listen to the album, either.[/quote]

well i read this thread again and actually looked up some of the books mentioned in here. i looked up "i have no mouth and i must scream" and house of leaves.

for "mouth" i looked into it mostly for two reasons, the title is interesting and the fact they made a game out of it. i read over a brief synopse of it and watched some one play through most of the game online. (i have lots of free time people ok) and i came to the conclusion i want to read this book. it seemed interesting enough and something i could get into. but when i went to my two bookstores i couldnt find a copy , i couldnt even find anything by this author and i even asked for help.

as for "house of leaves" i went to the wiki page for taht and saw that it was this big mass of text that was split up into many sections and looked overly confusing so i skimmed it breifly getting a basic premise that its told by multiple view points and has something to do with a house thats funky. then i saw what one of the pages looked like and it was just very strangly formed with random blocks of text and things encircled and what not. so i found this one at the first book store and looked over it. its like 600-700 ish pages.considering how close i was to finishng the ultimate hichhikers guide i figured i could try and read it. (im not to big of a reader but if its good i tear through it fast) but while i had it in my hand i decided to flick through the pages and i saw that there were many pages with one or two words on them. some even had musical bars. so i was very intrigued. didnt even bother reading the synopse and picked it up. if anything having that book and showing it to some one as a convorsation piece would be great. (why not own a bunch of things you dont know about as long as they make you seem more interesting right?)

any way, i started reading it about ... well i dont know a few hours ago i think... i dont know i didnt really look to see when i started but im at the beginning of the third chapter and actually find the book humorus for its portrail of charachters in a realistic fashion. im sure this is a device used to get me to connect with them and feel bad as well as frightened or pity etc.etc.etc. later on in the book but right now im into the charachters enough that i will give it more time to completly draw me in.