Protomen - the Comm Forum Index
<  Brothers and Sisters in Arms  ~  BANDS YOU THINK EVERYONE SHOULD CHECK OUT.
AMA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:02 am  Reply with quote

So. I'm on a total power trip and I dislike seeing tons of new threads about bands that everyone thinks everyone else should listen to. Especially when these threads get no responses and it clutters up this area.

SO. SO. SO.
Place those bands you want everyone to listen to here because it's a better way to:

1. Keep them all organized.
2. Keep the forums clutter free.
3. Keep 4M4 happy.

If there's a certain band that gets a lot of attention then it would be worthy of its own thread.
However, most of the bands never get past one or two posts saying how awesome/whatever it is.

KTHNX. <3

Also, go check out the Blood Brothers and Neon Blonde.
It's some crazy post-hardcore tunage.

Radtastic.

4M4 4 M0D3R4T0R 2013 4ND B3Y0ND!
Necrovolver
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:21 am  Reply with quote

I guess I'll start.

I think everyone should listen to Electric Six. they're the greatest "band that the world forgot about."

I've never met anyone who listened to anything of them past the Fire album - but that's when they hit their stride. Senor Smoke was a pretty amazing album and I'm currently digging The Kill, which was their most recent album.

But yeah, you should totally give them a listen.
Example: find the song "Escape from Ohio" by Electric Six.
Solaris Knight
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Gorillaz, seriously.

Clint Eastwood, Kids with Guns, Dirty Harry, Rhinestones Eyes, Stylo, Plastic Beach, etc.

Also, Muse.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

Rad Omen as stated in the thread I made.
Blind Guardian, Elvenking, Spellblast, Falconer...
I listen to a lot of Power/Fantasy metal.

Your beauty comes like sunshine after rain, an unexpected spark to wash away the dark.
crash426mnb
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:39 am  Reply with quote

The Killers- they are kinda popy but i got into them awhile ago and they arent as mutch as an emo kid teen angst badn as you thought they were. actually they are quite different.

Kasabian-they are kinda brit pop but very orange wasteland. idk how to describe them. sometime si get a beatles vibe from them but not like them. hard to describe but they are worth a listen.

arcade fire- you might recognize them from the where the wild things are commercial and their song wake up. after having listened to them they present very deep and thought provoking lyrics with alot of symbology and great use of instraments with vocal goodness.

the dresden dolls- they are somthing called a carberia band i think. but they have a fun negative upbeat excentric angsty feel to them. only two people in the band mind you. they have drums vocal and keyboard and it works well. some of the songs are more aimed to feamles but still good. (i mean com on if you grew up in moderen america does it really matter. most guys today can be considered pretty girly)

the unicorns-i know , right way you are like....seriously? they are popy canadaian indie. their songs can be yound harted but very dark at times and illogical.

owen pallett/final fantasy- he is a solo violinist act who could be thrown into the pile of canadian indie that i mentioned earlier. he has many game refrences in his song sbut they arent noticible. most songs arent of the happy sort though.

this is actually very hard to do. im looking through my collection picking things im guessing you all dont know and that hasnt already been mentioned.

muse
gorillaz
msi
greenday (old mind you)
smashing pumpkins
tool
nirvana
queen
aqualung
beatles
billy talent
billy joel
eighties matchbox b line disaster
keane
elvis costello
lemon demon
tenacious d
jet
malajube
the pillows
and to make it short
nobuo uematsu (final fantasy music since 4 to 9) i think
gitarroo man ost
most ost from good games that im not going to list inculding movies and shows
Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:59 am  Reply with quote

crash426mnb wrote:
the dresden dolls- they are somthing called a carberia band i think. but they have a fun negative upbeat excentric angsty feel to them. only two people in the band mind you. they have drums vocal and keyboard and it works well. some of the songs are more aimed to feamles but still good. (i mean com on if you grew up in moderen america does it really matter. most guys today can be considered pretty girly)

This, and Amanda Palmer's solo work which is basically the same thing with slightly cruddier drumming. Anyone who disagrees about AFP/DD's awesomeness, though, needs to go look up them playing War Pigs. I had to change my pants after that.

Quote:
list

And not a single mention of Nine Inch Nails. You lose, sir, for you've apparently managed to miss the greatest band of the 1990s.

Anyway: Devin Townsend. If you have any inclination to heavy music, you owe it to yourself to check his ass out. Combines just about everything I've ever loved about music: heavy guitars, huge range of vocal styles and pitch, epic 7+ minute songs (A few stretch past 11 minutes!), major symphonic elements, deep and introspective lyrics...and at the same time, entirely fun songs that don't take themselves too seriously. You may know him as the frontman from Strapping Young Lad.

Best example of Devin's solo stuff IMO, and the song that really hooked me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tR7Mr2CFek
Example of his fun not-really-serious songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMLXoobDKWs&feature=fvw

Visit my Bandcamp!
On Facebook? Become a fan! Or, uh, "like" me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crash426mnb
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:19 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
list

And not a single mention of Nine Inch Nails. You lose, sir, for you've apparently managed to miss the greatest band of the 1990s.

im sorry, ive heard a bit of them and never disliked them but never loved them.
dasopink
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:39 am  Reply with quote

crash426mnb wrote:

the unicorns

Yes.

Also, Ima Robot.

AMA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:57 am  Reply with quote

dasopink wrote:
crash426mnb wrote:

the unicorns

Yes.

Also, Ima Robot.

I WAS BORN A UNICOOOOOOOOORN... I MISSED THE ARCH BUT I COULD HAVE SWORN THAT YOU'D WAIT FOR MEEEEEEEE... <3
Though Les O's is my favorite song of theirs.

Annnnnnnd IMA ROBOT FTW.
EX GIRLFRIENDS... BLACK JETTAS! <3

Also, I saw Evil Bebos tonight when they played with The Protomen.

Holy shit. They were so goddamn epic. Their tunes are dark and heavy but it's so damn glorious. Definitely a new favorite local band of mine now.

Also, Felin, do you happen to listen to much folk metal? :)

crash426mnb
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:

thats my fave song of theirs to *high five
AMA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

crash426mnb wrote:
Quote:

thats my fave song of theirs to *high five

*half-ten!*

Truly a great song.

FENRYR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

Necrovolver wrote:
I guess I'll start.

I think everyone should listen to Electric Six. they're the greatest "band that the world forgot about."

I've never met anyone who listened to anything of them past the Fire album - but that's when they hit their stride. Senor Smoke was a pretty amazing album and I'm currently digging The Kill, which was their most recent album.

But yeah, you should totally give them a listen.
Example: find the song "Escape from Ohio" by Electric Six.

We just went and saw them in Cleveland last night and EVERYBODY knew the words to that song. It would have been such a huge disappointment if they hadn't played it.

Hmm, ... check out The Presidents of the United States of America. They have more to offer than "Peaches" and a cover of "Cleveland Rocks". So much more.

MetalMaster2004
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

I'm going to name a few, specify their genre, and give my reasons for recommended listening.

Also share recommended album.

1. The Faceless, Ambient/Technical/Death Metal, Planetary Duality: I'm extremely picky with my listening when it comes to this genre BUT when I finally listened to them I was soooo OH-EM-GEE, lol. They are extremely proficient and very melodic. Best thing of all is that their music is all about ALIENS! I know people who completely hate this genre but love this band. Plus, they are amazing live.

2. He is Legend, Rock/Hardcore/Pop, I Am Hollywood: Sadly this is the only CD of theirs I can get fully into but this CD is truly a masterpiece. They step out of their genre a decent amount which makes it interesting. Very meloodic, very mellow, and even very down and dirty all in the same package.

3. O-Zone, Europop/Eletronica, Disc-O-Zone: I've loved these guys since I don't remember. The first time I ever heard them was mine and Ama's first trek to MTAC in Nashville, TN which I think made it our first anime con. I loved it enough that I sought out and bought their Bonus track CD which is hard to find. They are a very unique group which sadly split ways in 2005 to do other things. Everybody will fall in love with them as soon as they hear their single "Dragostea Din Tei" or in English "Mai-Ya-Ho" or as most people know it as the "Numa Numa Song" (hate it when people call it that." All the song lyrics except for their english version of this song is in Romanian which I feel is a very beautiful language.

I hope you enjoy these three bands I've put out for you. As I always recommend, to truly enjoy what's out there in life, you have to let yourself go, be vulnerable, and be willing to put yourself in a state to be uncomfortable because that's the true way you grow. When you do that then you become more than just a person. So please try to enjoy these groups just like that with an open mind. ^^

Steamlord D
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

SUNN O)))

If you like dark and heavy, you'll like them. Kinda environmental/atmospheric music. Think climbing the tower to Ganondorf.

MetalMaster2004
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Steamlord D wrote:
SUNN O)))

If you like dark and heavy, you'll like them. Kinda environmental/atmospheric music. Think climbing the tower to Ganondorf.

Never thought of it that way but that's a perfect way to describe it. I actually thought about making a Black/Death metal opera of Ocarina of Time.