Protomen - the Comm Forum Index
<  Brothers and Sisters in Arms  ~  Comics
Kentok
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:36 am  Reply with quote

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.

One of the greatest things ever drawn and written.

lalalei2001
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:00 am  Reply with quote

I love that story! Very Happy

Rae Beta
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

SlitheryDee wrote:
And because I'm a nerd and waste my money on stupid things and have a thing for 2nd-rate knock off heroes, I now own nearly every single issue of every comic Beta Ray Bill has appeared in. I'm missing 2 of the 42 issues he's appeared in from Thor Volume 1 (411 and 472, if memory serves me offhand; they're not worth anything, or hard to find, just the few back-issue places I usually check are just out of them atm), Earth X, 3 issues of Silver Surfer that's he's been in, an issue from Sensational She-Hulk (I've got the She-Hulk issues he's in, but not Sensational), and apparently he's in a random issue of Exiles that I didn't know about until like last week.

So that's cool.

That is extremely cool. Love me some Beta Ray Bill. To whom my handle is not actually a reference, although in retrospect, I wish it were.
Rae Beta
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

Dunno how many people here follow industry news, but Dwayne McDuffie died really suddenly yesterday.

For those of you who don't know of him, he's best known as the creator of Milestone, which eventually became a DC imprint and part of the shared DCU. He also created Damage Control at Marvel (where he was an editor for years) and wrote a ton of comics as well as some of the best animated spinoffs and adaptions, several of which he also produced (Justice League, Static Shock, &c.); and played a HUGE role in dragging the DCU--kicking and screaming--into some measure of diversity. He was one of those creators who was super-accessible to fans and consistently held the industry accountable for its bullshit.

He was an amazing guy, and an amazing writer. Comics--both the books and the community--are less for his loss.
SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Rae Beta wrote:
That is extremely cool. Love me some Beta Ray Bill. To whom my handle is not actually a reference, although in retrospect, I wish it were.
Yeah, I like Beta Ray Bill because he's just as strong as Thor, still gets to pal around with the Warriors 3, but his backstory is way more brutal and depressing. I mean, his home world's been blown up not once, but TWICE, his people have been enslaved at least once, and brought to the point of extinction twice as well. And Beta Ray just keeps on trucking. Dude's a house. Plus with Beta Ray Bill you get a nice mix of Asgard, Earth, and cosmic events.

And he looks like a horse (which is still really weird to me since no other Korbinites do, nor do any of the other "native Korbinite species" upon which Beta Ray Bill was genetically spliced with, apparently.)

Kinda wish he had shown up during Siege. Seems like a missed opportunity there, but I guess he was kinda busy dealing with Thanos and all that jazz out in spaaaaaaaaaace during the Thanos Imperative.

Unrelated note: Just read all of Geoff Johns' GL. Holy crap that dude can write. Between his GL, his Supes, and Blackest Night, he's gotta be one of the best working authors over at DC. Grant Morrison's pretty close, but what Johns did with GL: Rebirth is just amazing. Everything about it is great, especially Thy Kingdom Come. KC is the first real story that got me into DC, and this is an absolutely fantastic follow-up to it (even if I had never head of most of the heroes on the JSA, let alone all the crazy alternate Earth mumbo jumbo. Stupid Infinite Crisis that makes no sense.).

Yeah, I did read about Dwayne McDuffie the other day. Real sad story.

I swear to god, if/when Stan Lee dies I'm gonna lock myself in my room and cry for a week. The Generalissimo is one of my personal heroes and he created so many of my favorite stories and really shaped my childhood.

I think the only thing worse than Stan Lee dying would be someone like David Bowie or David Gilmour. Dear god, I don't even want to think about it.

Man I totally just depressed myself there. Ugh. I'm gonna go eat a gallon of ice cream, hopefully drowning my sorrows in delicious delicious dairy product will make the anticipation of future pain go away.

Jenis Boxed
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

I've been following Marvel's Dumping Grounds for Random Nick Fury Badass Moments- I mean, Secret Warriors.
It's not bad, I mean, it's not like Marvel gives a shit about their True Believers anymore but it's got all the characters I like that haven't really popped up elsewhere lately. Aside from so-called TWEESTS being sadly predictable, the characterization is really well-done.

I was also flipping through Batwoman: Elegy again earlier this week. I'd forgotten how gorgeous the artwork is. <3

brightshininglie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:35 am  Reply with quote

I finally got caught up on Avengers: The Children's Crusade. Damn I love the Young Avengers, now if I can get a good Runaways, or a half decent Teen Titans story line I would be happy.

SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Jenis Boxed wrote:
I've been following Marvel's Dumping Grounds for Random Nick Fury Badass Moments- I mean, Secret Warriors.
It's not bad, I mean, it's not like Marvel gives a shit about their True Believers anymore but it's got all the characters I like that haven't really popped up elsewhere lately. Aside from so-called TWEESTS being sadly predictable, the characterization is really well-done.
One thing I love is how Nick Fury has been turning more and more into Col. Hunter S. Gathers. It's so clear that Bendis and the other writers at Marvel are huge Venture Brothers fans, and seem to almost create homages to various story lines. All Nick Fury needs are some Big Beautiful Breasts!

Rae Beta
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:38 am  Reply with quote

Spent last weekend at ECCC, which is my all-time favorite comics show. If you're in the PNW, I couldn't recommend it more highly. Spent waaay too much money, but came home with, among other things, a gorgeous original page from one of my favorite series / artists, so I regret nothing.

Cool
SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Chris Hastings, the writer of Dr. McNinja is to write the Deadpool tie-in to Fear Itself. I cried tears of joy when I heard this. This is the best thing.

Rae Beta
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

SlitheryDee wrote:
Chris Hastings, the writer of Dr. McNinja is to write the Deadpool tie-in to Fear Itself. I cried tears of joy when I heard this. This is the best thing.

QFT. I guess I'm going to have to start subscribing to a monthly again.
SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Going to C2E2 tomorrow. Gonna go meet Jeph Loeb, Brian Michael Bendis, Matt Fraction, and Joe Quesada.

And Patton Oswalt and Danny McBride will also be there.

GREATEST DAY EVER THAT'S NOT A PROTOMEN CONCERT

Malphas the Crow
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

I generally get my comics from the library, as the ones near me have pretty large collections. However, I do buy them on occasion. I have Bone, Scott Pilgrim, The Walking Dead, and Y: the Last Man in my own private collection...
venort
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Malphas the Crow wrote:
I generally get my comics from the library, as the ones near me have pretty large collections. However, I do buy them on occasion. I have Bone, Scott Pilgrim, The Walking Dead, and Y: the Last Man in my own private collection...

thus far, my private collection consists of both volumes of trigun, the first volume of gantz, the first eight volumes of judge dredd case files, the first two volumes of strontium dog search/destroy agency files, alan moore's future shocks, droid life, and everything bagged with the judge dredd megazine (to much stuff to list here).

on the 25th, this collection shall be bolstered with watchmen, powerless and all eight volumes of parasyte. (this stuff is going to arrive alongside my 3DS and the DS games I had to buy to replace my water-damaged collection). next on my list: next many volumes of gantz, first many volumes of trigun maximum, transformers evolutions: hearts of steel and eventually both volumes of gyo. further down: transformers: the IDW collection (first several volumes) and a bunch of 2000AD stuff.
SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

I met Joe Quesada. I met Jeph Loeb. I MET BRIAN MOTHER MICHAEL FUCKING BENDIS.

Jeph Loeb was amazing. He totally answered all of our questions, and was the so excited when we brought up Heroes stuff for him to sign. He absolutely loved it. Then when we asked him why Captain America: White never got off the ground, he responded: "Well, Timmy's got the script, and he's working on it, and we're gonna try and get it out before the movie comes out. So, it's coming!"

He referred to Tim Sale as Timmy. My life is now complete.