Protomen - the Comm Forum Index
<  Brothers and Sisters in Arms  ~  Comics
lalalei2001
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

I read that one of the Fantastic Four is going to die for real, and that after that issue they're canceling the comic. D:

SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

lalalei2001 wrote:
I read that one of the Fantastic Four is going to die for real, and that after that issue they're canceling the comic. D:
Yeah? Well then 2 years from now Frankie Richards will bring him/her back to life with his crazy-stupid-overpowered-ness, and it'll just be life as usual in the Richards household. Although, Marvel's been pretty good about dead characters staying dead lately (Hawkeye and Cap aside, but Cap never really died). I mean, Jean is still dead, which is pretty huge considering she literally couldn't die for a good long while. I remember an issue of X-Men from a while back where they "killed" her 5 times in 1 issue just to beat the point home that she cannot die. Most of Alpha Flight is still dead, to the best of my knowledge (but Omega Flight was cooler anyway. Beta Ray Bill FTW!) And, of course, I don't think Janet's coming back anytime soon, so sad. Founding member of the Avengers... And Sentry, of course. But killing of a member of the FF? I don't see it sticking. And in a few years, even if they don't bring him/her back, they'll just restart the book up again. It sells too well to not print it. I mean, that'd be like DC never printing the JLA ever again.

dasopink
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Rae Beta wrote:

Marvel - The Spouse and I are both X-Men (Right now, mostly X-Factor) and Thor junkies, although the former has been somewhat compromised by the fact that they keep hiring Greg Land to "draw" it.

X-men comics are probably my favorite superhero comics to read. I really liked Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men stuff, but maybe just because Cyclops was pretty great in it and Cyclops is my favorite superhero.

SlitheryDee wrote:
Although, Marvel's been pretty good about dead characters staying dead lately

I think Banshee's been dead for a while. I liked Banshee.

Rae Beta
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

dasopink wrote:
Rae Beta wrote:

Marvel - The Spouse and I are both X-Men (Right now, mostly X-Factor) and Thor junkies, although the former has been somewhat compromised by the fact that they keep hiring Greg Land to "draw" it.

X-men comics are probably my favorite superhero comics to read. I really liked Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men stuff, but maybe just because Cyclops was pretty great in it and Cyclops is my favorite superhero.

Oh, man, I am so used to being the only person in the room who likes Cyclops. High five!
dasopink
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:03 am  Reply with quote

Rae Beta wrote:

Oh, man, I am so used to being the only person in the room who likes Cyclops. High five!

I like you. I wish more people would like Cyclops.

SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:42 am  Reply with quote

dasopink wrote:
Rae Beta wrote:

I hated him until Endangered Species. Seriously, the Cyclops-led X-men is totally bad ass, and him telling of Xavier was when I was finally converted to a Scott Summers fan (I'll always be a bigger Havok fan... Vulcan can go suck it. Stupid Shi-ar.)

SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:01 am  Reply with quote

A friend of mine just lent me both trades of Kevin Smith's Batman stuff. Hooooooooooly shit. Cacophony was pretty good; that talk between Joker and Batman at the end was really neat. But The Widening Gyre? That honestly might be my new favorite Batman story. It was soooooooooo good. And there were very clear moments where it's still a Kevin Smith story, but for the most part, Smith has really, really matured as a writer and been able to kinda elevate himself with each new story he writes.

crash426mnb
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:59 am  Reply with quote

SlitheryDee wrote:
A friend of mine just lent me both trades of Kevin Smith's Batman stuff. Hooooooooooly shit. Cacophony was pretty good; that talk between Joker and Batman at the end was really neat. But The Widening Gyre? That honestly might be my new favorite Batman story. It was soooooooooo good. And there were very clear moments where it's still a Kevin Smith story, but for the most part, Smith has really, really matured as a writer and been able to kinda elevate himself with each new story he writes.

kevin smith did batman stuff? besiddes the movie thing back in the day?
SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

crash426mnb wrote:
kevin smith did batman stuff? besiddes the movie thing back in the day?
Yeah, He's done two trade's worth now. Cacophony came out in 2008, I believe, and The Widening Gyre came out in around this past August, I think?

Rae Beta
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

dasopink wrote:
Rae Beta wrote:

He tries so hard!
venort
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to ask:

any other 2000AD fans in the house?
dasopink
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

On the subject of Cyclops, X-men: First Class is one of the more enjoyable series I've read. Cyclops gets to be really awesome in it.

X-men: First Class, the film, however, makes me want to cry.

SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Okay, being the total Marvel fanboy I am, this is a rather difficult confession for me to make.

...I think Green Lantern might be quickly becoming one of my favorite titles. My local store just had a huge buy-1-get-1-50% deal on GL TPBs, so I picked a bunch up, and man, this is really, really good shit. I mean, it's not the best out there, that still goes to my boy Deadpool, but this is really, really good quality stuff here.

Also, a friend of mine just lent me a bunch of his Green Arrow stuff, and The Archer's Quest was a surprisingly good story. The art was kinda meh, but the story was really good; I loved how it referenced a ton of hilarious stuff, like the Denny O'Neal/Neil Adams story where GL and GA traversed the American countryside with a Guardian of Oa to learn about humanity. Man that was a hilarious story.

Aireos
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Scott Pilgrim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SlitheryDee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:57 am  Reply with quote

And because I'm a nerd and waste my money on stupid things and have a thing for 2nd-rate knock off heroes, I now own nearly every single issue of every comic Beta Ray Bill has appeared in. I'm missing 2 of the 42 issues he's appeared in from Thor Volume 1 (411 and 472, if memory serves me offhand; they're not worth anything, or hard to find, just the few back-issue places I usually check are just out of them atm), Earth X, 3 issues of Silver Surfer that's he's been in, an issue from Sensational She-Hulk (I've got the She-Hulk issues he's in, but not Sensational), and apparently he's in a random issue of Exiles that I didn't know about until like last week.

So that's cool.