PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:29 am  Reply with quote

recently i have been listing to allot of rock operas such as
tommy
the wall
act 1/11
bat out of hell
Slippery42
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Good for you! Rock operas are awesome experiences, but they're unfortunately underappreciated. Commercial radio stations are stuck catering to tiny attention spans, and many online-streaming licenses have a rule allowing no more than a few songs by a single artist to be played in any given hour, so folks have to take a risk on buying the whole album to hear any of these albums in full.

If you're looking for other rock operas to check out, for older stuff, I can recommend:

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway: Not entirely sure what this one's all about. Be warned - the story's very out there. The music is quite interesting, though - parts of it have a very post-rock/shoegaze feel, and there are some really nifty solos here and there. A few months ago, I saw a tribute band do this in its entirety, complete with the same or similar costumes, lighting, stage-setup, and projections that Genesis used back when they promoted the album. If you aren't familiar with early Genesis shows, they went *crazy* with that kinda stuff.

Triumvirat - Spartacus: A nerdy German prog-rock band tells the story of Spartacus fighting a hopeless battle for freedom. They're like Emerson, Lake & Palmer on steroids. If you like happy-sounding synthesizers, you'll like this band.

For newer stuff, prog and power metal bands love the crap out of making rock operas out of their D&D campaigns Laughing Recommendations include:

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth: Rock album based on the story told in The Silmarillion. Basically tons of backstory/history in the Lord of the Rings universe.

Anything by Rhapsody of Fire. They get Christopher Lee (the guy that played Saruman in the LotR movies) to do narration and featured vocals on some of their albums. I highly recommend finding some of their music videos on Youtube - especially the earlier ones!

And if metal isn't to your taste:

The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love: Much more mellow and folk-y feel than most other rock operas I've heard.

Ludo - Broken Bride: All about the hijinks of a guy who invented a time machine to try and prevent his girlfriend's death.

And finally, this comedy option: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail125.html
venort
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

missing from the metal stuff is those two iced earth albums (I forget what they were called) and ayreon, a kind of prog/metal/crazy thing across a half dozen albums, all of which work alone, but all of which fit into one timeline.

it involves fish, blind guys, knights and crazy.

also worth a mention: catch a falling starfighter, if you're a fan of hawkwind.
Akari MMS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

venort wrote:

also worth a mention: catch a falling starfighter, if you're a fan of hawkwind.

EVen if you're not, it's very much worth a listen to. The album's full name is Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters, and it tends to be listed as a work of Robert Calvert. Just for those who'd take a look

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

I've always considered Caress of Steel, 2112, and Hemispheres by Rush to be rock operas. When Green Day's American Idiot came out I was very happy to know that there were still bands out there willing to go that route, and pretty much fell in love with it. Oh yeah, Judas Priest - Nostradamus.
namal
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Pass this on reminds me of Mega Man 1 music for some reason, mostly the Wily level. I dunno, I hear things weirdly like that. I like to call them "Tropical Techno" Smile
The Knife is good stuff!