Protomen - the Comm Forum Index
<  Brothers and Sisters in Arms  ~  Janelle Monae: Another Robot Rock(kinda) Opera?!

What do you think of Janlle Monae's "Metropolis"?
It's Awesome!
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Meh...
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
It Sucks!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Sparx-1
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:39 am  Reply with quote

So I happen to notice this ad on iTunes about an artist I'd never heard of before, Janelle Monae...

...I found the cover art interesting, so I checked her out on youtube and man, was I surprised!

It turns out that her album is part of a planned series of concept albums called "Metropolis", a sort of sci-fi electro-disco-jazz-R&B-opera...thingy about an android musician named Cindy in a society that oppresses 'synthetics', who falls in love with a human and is therefore being hunted down for disassembly. The primary reason that the Droid Hunters want to keep this relationship from happening is because legend tells of the ArchAndroid, an android who can become a mediator between humans and androids, and will give the androids a voice and a place in society and allow them to break free from their slavery, which is something that would really wreck the big-shots' power trip. Considering that Cindy actually goes so far as to fall in love with a human, the chances of her turning out to be the ArchAndroid are 100%.

...Trust me, it's better than it sounds... That is, for the people who like this music style at least.

I bring it up because, although this quite different from The Protomen's rock opera in itself, the two do have a few things in common. The interesting thing about Metropolis though, is that you can choose to take the whole thing literally, as the sci-fi storyline, or figuratively, as a metaphor for the real-life forces that oppress people in the world.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Last edited by Sparx-1 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6496/mmtscpainfulmemoriescop.jpg
AMA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:20 am  Reply with quote

I've posted about her many a time on these boards in various threads. Guess I should have made a thread but I'm sure I was being my own moderator...

Anyways, The Gambler is super into Ms. Monae and got me turned onto her. I actually got to see her live last month and it was pretty much the most incredible thing ever even though she was only an opening act. Her music is definitely something I'm very, very excited to hear because it's not mindless mainstream pop/r&b/ect.

I would consider her to be a bit mainstream though considering that I hear Tightrope EVERYWHERE.

But I digress, Janelle Monae is definitely one of the best new artists that have emerged in the past few years.

As for you saying the two groups aren't similar, I'd disagree. She pretty much is the hip hop version of The Protomen. Especially when seen live.

4M4 4 M0D3R4T0R 2013 4ND B3Y0ND!